By Jasmine Topham, Founder of #BundleupYEG
Hey everyone — we did it! Together, we not only reached our goal of collecting and delivering 1,300 bags of warm clothing to Edmonton homeless shelters in 31 days, but we surpassed it!
Between Nov.17 and Dec.17 we collected and delivered more than 1,500 bags of clothes to Edmonton’s Bissell Centre, Hope Mission, Mustard Seed and Boyle Street Community Services. We are so blown away! As volunteers who work full-time and do not receive funding for this project, our hearts are overflowing with love from the support and generosity you’ve all given us these past few weeks. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you all.
This is by far our busiest and most successful season. We are SO grateful to every single person who donated clothing, spread the word about who we and what we do, and supported us in a number of ways. We truly couldn’t do what we do without you. Thank you!
If you ever wonder why donating clothing matters, hear it first-hand from our local shelter superheros by clicking here.
It takes a village to operate #BundleupYEG. From volunteer hours and extra vehicles to pre-cooked meals and graphic design services, every piece of support helps pull this project together. Here are a few of the outstanding people who contributed to this year’s campaign:We have a few special thank yous and people we’d like to acknowledge:
- First, to our 20 amazing volunteers, also known as #BundleBuddies: THANK YOU! Bill, Maria, Barbara, Gerri, Kevin, Maureen, Stephen, Matt C, Jill, Sarah, Cody, Matt T, Mac, Courtney, Danielle, Steve and Memory: thank you. Thank you for dedicating your spare time and your vehicles to #BundleupYEG over the past four weeks. For spending your weekends and gas money on this campaign and putting in all the extra work you do (Sarah, helping coordinate emails; Mac using the First Try Heating van to help us move bigger loads). We could not do this without you. Thank you all for believing in me and trusting me!
- To all our collection box hosts, thank you —102.3! Now Radio; Kingsway Mall, Find Retail + Donation Centre; Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre; Print Machine; Blissful Balance Massage; LOCAL Public Eatery South Common; Nook Cafe; Capital GMC Buick; Acclaimed! Heating, Cooling and Furnace Cleaning; Cafe’ Rista; and all Edmonton Sentinel Storage and Access Storage locations — thank you for opening up your doors and your space to provide more opportunities and access for people to donate across the city. You are such a game changer in our efforts to collected as many clothes as possible for vulnerable people in our city.
- To Sentinel Storage and Memory: THANK YOU. These amazing people donated an entire storage unit for us to use as a central collection and drop off location. This was game-changing to our campaign this year and helped us move #BundleupYEG out of our home garage (haha). In addition to providing a storage unit, they opened up all of their Edmonton locations us as drop off locations. We couldn’t be more grateful for these amazing people and specifically, Memory who was also a #BundleBuddy volunteer for us. Thanks to them, we were able to step up our game this year!
- To Tamarra Canu (Lessard) and Tamarra Canu Productions, also known as our videographer and graphic designer: thank you for helping capture our campaign for the world to see. Thanks to you and your production company, we were able to shed new light on our campaign and communicate in more effective ways. Thanks for all of your time and efforts spent on us to further spread the word about who we are!
- Unite Here! Local 47 and the Unite Here! Local 47 Benevolent Society – These generous folks donated more than $1,000 in gas cards to our campaign. They filled our gas tanks and helped fuel our ability to travel across Edmonton, and surrounding regions, to collect and deliver donations. As #bundleupyeg is not a registered charity and we do not receive funding to operate the campaign, gas is always our largest expense that of course comes out of our pockets. These gas cards allowed us and our team to operate a full capacity for seven weeks to fulfill the demand and need. Thank you so much for supporting us in such a large way this year. We could never thank you enough!
- Companies and organizations who ran their own #bundleupyeg clothing drives: (Including but not limited to) Grant MacEwan University, Riverbend swap group, Williams Engineering, Grey Nuns Hospital, Alberta Blue Cross (also donated gas cards!), Indigenous Services Canada, Heritage Valley Estates Apartments, Jacobs Industrial Services, Dance Theme dance studio, YMCA Jamie Platz, YWCA Northmount School, Lago Lindo School, Ecole Avalon School, BFit Femme,Alberta Infrastructure, University of Alberta Facilities and Operations and more.
- To everyone who donated, collected and ran drives on our behalf, thank you. Thanks for your time and efforts to pull this together and organize a drive on behalf of your colleagues. We appreciate all of the hard work you put in to bring in donations!
- To Sick Productions: Thank you for designing and producing 10 big, beautiful collection boxes for us to use in our campaign this year. This generous donation changed our game for 2018 and helped identify who we were in public spaces. We are so grateful for you all!
- Code Word Media Design – Big thanks to Kasia Gawlak of Code Word Media Design for producing our original graphics and logo!
- Edmonton homeless shelter staff – To the wonderful staff at our local homeless shelters and support organizations: thank you! Thanks for your tireless efforts year-round to keep people in need safe. Brent, Devin, Alyssa and Erin: we truly value working with you each year to make sure these donations get into your facilities and out to those in need. Thank you for always being so accommodating. We value our partnership with you
To every single person who donated whether it was big or small — thank you. Each and every one of you contributed to our total count of more than 1,500 bags and helped make a difference.
Thank you all for such an incredible campaign this year. It has been unforgettable and has filled up our hearts with so much love. We can’t wait to see you again in 2019!