By Jasmine Topham, #bundleupyeg founder
Edmonton, we’re back for our fifth season and we couldn’t be happier!
This year we will be operating from November 1 to December 18, 2017 to collect and deliver your warm clothing donations to Edmonton homeless shelters, free of charge. Clean out your closets and get your warm clothing donations packed up and ready to go because we have some exciting things in store for you this time around. Check out our news release for this year’s campaign.
Keep reading below to find out how we’ve expanded, where our collection boxes are located, which events we will be appearing at, how to find us on Twitter and special thank yous to those who have already contributed to this year’s campaign.
Our team has grown: welcome #bundlebuddies!
Surprise — we expanded!
After last year’s record-breaking season where we collected and delivered 510 bags of clothing to Edmonton homeless shelters in just under two months time, we knew we needed to increase our capacity to keep up with demand.
And so, for the first time ever, we have grown our small team of four to 13 volunteers we have dubbed as #bundlebuddies! This amazing group of close friends and family will help Ryan and I collect and deliver even more winter clothes this year to keep our local homeless community warm and safe.
Stay tuned to our Instagram account for the next few days as we introduce our #bundlebuddies to you.
There are more collection boxes
The purpose of #bundleupyeg is to make the donation process easy and accessible for people who want to give warm clothing to our city’s most vulnerable. There are two ways to donate to us: 1) Arrange a time for us to pick up your donation, or 2) bring your donations to one of our collection boxes.
We are honoured to be partnered with incredible local organizations who allow #bundleupyeg to put a collection box in their facility and be a hub for donations. Here are the public collection boxes which you can bring your donations to:
- Nov.1 to Dec.18 — 102.3 Now! Radio (Suite 102, 9894-42 Avenue, Edmonton)
- This is our fourth year collaborating with 102.3! Now Radio who has provided endless support and love for #bundleupyeg. Last year alone, they brought in 224 bags of donations for us. We love you guys, and the entire Now! family!
- Nov. 1 to Dec. 18 — Local Public Eatery, South Common (1820-99 St NW, Edmonton)
- We are so excited to work with Local Public Eatery this year as a public donation drop off location. Local has been enthusiast about #bundleupyeg since 2016 and they’ve even decorated their own box to collect donations!
- Nov. 1 to Dec. 18 — Print Machine, Whyte Avenue (8124 Gateway Blvd, Edmonton)
- This is our first year partnership with Print Machine and we couldn’t be happier. Not only are they a public collection box location, but they also kindly donated 15 winter toques for our #bundlebuddies to wear during collections and deliveries! Thank you Print Machine!
- Nov.25 to Dec.18 — The Gift Wrap Station atKingsway Mall (location)
- This is our third year partnering with Kingsway Mall who generously allows us space in their holiday lounge gift wrapping centre! We look forward to another successful year together and can’t wait to work with the amazing staff again!
There is also a number of private collection boxes around the city for internal clothing drives on behalf of #bundleupyeg. Thank you to everyone who has taken on this initiative and continues to support us. Folks like Jared B, who has been running his own #bundleupyeg box at his office, are vital contributors to our project and we appreciate you all.
We have Twitter now
I finally caved and got #bundleupyeg its own Twitter account. Please follow us: @bundleupyeg!
You can stay in touch with campaign updates through the blog here and also on our Instagram and Twitter channels.
Catch us at events and markets
We’re excited to be appearing at a number of events this year to raise awareness and collect clothing donations. We’d love to see you:
- Keep it Local — The Market — Saturday, November 4 at the Agora in the Sherwood Park Community Centre (401 Festival Lane). The market runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. We will have a collection box on site. Stop in, we’d love to meet you!
- The Christmas Gift market — Saturday, November 18 at Hunters Green Golf Club (24427 Township Rd 542, Namao, Alberta). The event runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. We will have a collection box on site.
Special shout outs and thank yous
As most of you know, #bundleupyeg is run on volunteer time (outside of work hours) and volunteer resources. Ryan and I typically cover all costs of the campaign including boxes, wrapping paper, sign printing, gas and more. Each year as #bundleupyeg continues to grow we need to adjust our resources to accommodate that growth.
In essence, #bundleupyeg takes a village. Since its start-up in 2013, we have collected and delivered almost 9,000 pieces (900 bags) of warm clothing to local homeless organizations such as Bissell Centre, Hope Mission, Boyle Street and The Mustard Seed.
We are so appreciative of everyone who helps us achieve this! This year, we are incredibly thankful for a few special supporters who have provided the resources we need to make #bundleupyeg a success this year:
- Unite Here! Local 47 and the Unite Here! Local 47 Benevolent Society have generously donated $550 worth of gas cards to our team. This is a tremendous support for us as our biggest expense for #bundleupyeg year after year is most certainly the cost of gas that comes with travelling in and around Edmonton to collect and deliver donations. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you!
- Thank you to Ron for donating 10 washer/dryer boxes to the campaign for use as collection boxes. Fun fact: buying boxes isn’t cheap! Last year we spent almost $80 alone just on boxes. The donation of these boxes is a huge help! Thank you so much Ron.
- Thank you to all of our family and friends who have donated and collected for #bundleupyeg over the years, especially my parents Bill and Maria Franklin who played a huge role in last year’s campaign success as they collected and delivered donations nearly every single day. It takes a village and we are so grateful!
- Big thanks to my creative mom, Maria, who has wrapped and decorated almost all of our #bundleupyeg boxes this year. I can’t take any credit for them looking so fancy!
- Maureen Topham, my wonderful mother-in-law, has given us our first donations this year! Actually, she had them packed and ready to go in early September. Thanks to her, we have our first seven bags of the campaign already. To Maureen, and all of our family and friends who support us endlessly, thank you. We love you!
We are so excited to work with everyone again to help keep Edmonton’s homeless community warm during our cold winter months.
All our love,
The #bundleupyeg team